Tuesday, September 26, 2006

scribbled by anna katrina
6:35 PM | 9 comments

Let's Chill

It's 1:30 am, and I'm here at Dunkin Donuts, cold and sleepy to the music of my hero, Norah Jones.

In front of me is Marianne - a blabbermouth, as most people who know her would say, but a brilliant writer nonetheless. It just amazes me how much life and charisma emanates from her stories, whether verbal or written...i wager she'd someday be one of the best storytellers of our time.

Even at this hour, she's usually really still boisterous, but tonight is different. All her energy's been used up after she told us about how she forgot her key yesterday and couldn't get in her apartment at 3 am in the morning. After exhausting all efforts on texting people who might be able to help her, she resolves to just walk around Dumaguete and wait for the sunrise. No wink of sleep for her.

At this very moment, she's here with us (when she's supposed to be in her apartment sleeping her weariness away), arms folded upon the table, with her head resting down and her eyes shut. I hope she's dreaming of more stories.

Two empty seats to my right is Kuya Razcel, our beloved (or not so beloved) SG president; but I would rather think of him as the die-hard environmentalist-slash-indie artist who happened to be famous and decided to do some people a favor by running for president. Anyway, he's buried in 'Shanghai Boy' by Chinese author Wei Hui.

I finally ask him what the book is all about after a few shrieks of "Holy SHIT!" and moments of watery eyes.

"Feminism, a philandering woman caught between an addicted artist and a German guy. It's a sad, sad story."

"It shows." I snigger. Kuya Razcel is TOO different from the other guys today. He's got more sensitivity than all the occupants of Doltz Hall combined (no offense dirg), and he's extremely emotional. I remember how he once cried over crickets, which eventually let to our constant banter on him; and he keeps a journal for God's sake! (p.s. I love that journal)

Anyway, I'm asking for an artwork from him -- just in case he becomes some famous artist someday.

At my back is Lyde, the resident gay poet. It doesn't surprise me that he opted to sit in another table - the very table he spent his 18th birthday on...alone. He actually has this fetish for being overly-melodramatic about his life, or as Denver would put it, "He makes simple things complicated." I would agree with him, but if it weren't for Lyde's 'emote' moments, he wouldn't have made the poems we love.

Glancing at my back, I find Lyde beaming with pleasure. He rolls he's eyeballs, seemingly examining the area, fixes his eyes on me and gives me a nod, as if signaling for me to do the same. I give him a squint, and I look around to find out what he's so happy about.

"Oh, ok." I sneer with Lyde at the sight. Eight out of fourteen tables are occupied by two guys (who seem like they're dating).

"This is really the era of Brokeback Mountain," Lyde comments nonchalantly, almost giggling, causing Marianne to fidget and give a smile. (Kuya Razcel is still indifferent... he's almost crying now. What's that book doing to him???)

I eventually engaged Lyde in a debate/conversation about possibilities and prejudice. My gaze broke off and turned to two guys drinking coffee at a nearby table. They seem to be getting more uncomfortable by the minute. I'm not sure if they've been eavesdropping, (or maybe they had no choice but to listen because our voices were too loud anyway). Funny - I wonder if they're guilty or not.

Everything is quiet again, and the two guys stand up to leave. One of them is wearing an "I love Party Chicks" shirt. "Yeah right," I muttered under my breath. Closet case.

Sigh. I realize how much I love hanging out like this - chilling over coffee and hot chocolate in the wee hours of the morning, just using up the creative juices left before retiring for the day.
And I couldn't think of a better crowd to just do this with.
About Me



Name: Anna Katrina Espino
Nickname: Anna, Teebak, Hanna
Alias: the original Queen B*tch and the ultimate coffee addict
Age: 20
School: Silliman University

Indulges in:
*too much debating
*junk food
*books
*sensible conversations
*coffee!
*uninterrupted sleep

Detests:
*waking up early
*airheads and dumb-dumbs
*being broke
*disrepectful people
*losing

Hopes to be:
*the best damn debater in the world!
*a kick-ass lawyer
*an author of a New York bestseller (haha!)
*an independent woman (chorva)
*the owner of a Lexus IS 220



I am the biggest procrastinator alive. I'm generally a nice person but I can be a real mean bitch when provoked. I am a coffee addict. My passion is debate. I can sleep for more than twenty-four hours, but I can also last three whole days without a wink of sleep. People say I'm an extrovert, but really, I feel otherwise. I'm just too talkative -- that's all (probably because of debating too much). I love my God. I seem happy and cheerful most of the time... just don't dare ruin my day. I hate going to classes I know I can learn better about by just reading a book (in short, I hate defective teachers). I am a frustrated writer. I like intellectual conversations over coffee, and non-sensical ones over booze. I recently discovered the wonders of tea. I love music. I sing too. Once in a while, I try composing songs, but I usually end up with unfinished stanzas. I'm a real fastfood junkie and a huge couch potato. I can watch romantic comedies ALL DAY. By the way, I am Tracy McGrady's biggest fan. I'm all for the rainbow, if you know what I mean. I hate people who don't know when to stop and I DESPISE airheads. Some know-it-all's think they got me all figured out, but really, they have NO IDEA.






Links
Bloggers!

you can find me on:

  • yahoo360
  • facebook
  • friendster
  • multiply
  • livejournal
  • tagged

    people i know

  • lametations of terrible beauty
  • of beer and pen
  • tales of the loquacious lady
  • clash of the bull and the frog
  • la Jota a la Claudia
  • pure me
  • bittersweet
  • inconvenient reality
  • constipated psyche
  • angel spring's haven
  • au naturel
  • just got lost
  • save me from this world
  • be present, be here
  • i write sins, not tragedies
  • desensitized
  • ang pagdadalaga ni bob young
  • who wants to fuck me?!
  • squisii sushii
  • potpourri
  • tig-sulat pod baya ko...
  • the vegan prince
  • wild toga party for g[r]eeks
  • fin lust
  • while staring at you
  • exit to exist
  • colored rockets

    Silliman Debate Society

  • point of information
  • the venting machine
  • markie-mark
  • kristi's second
  • bulaw daw
  • the istaki doll code
  • 9th wanderer
  • wandering step
  • moisture is the essence of wetness
  • sugar rush
  • endless bliss
  • claudiopoi
  • seafoamjazz
  • songs of my heart

    debate community

  • debate asia
  • the last vehicle
  • bad rabbit
  • free all angels
  • tickle me pink
  • bad boy of senti
  • coffee is me
  • food for thought
  • Rosseau
  • paranoid pluto
  • a woman without equal
  • bok's den
  • alzhoeir hajim
  • the adventures of zed
  • peppermint streak
  • viewing the world
  • for the times a-changin'
  • brackets
  • here goes whatever
  • ang munting bukayo

    mga char

  • writing on air
  • spy in the sandwich
  • ala-ism
  • notes from the peanut gallery
  • pebbles and sex

    Forums

  • Visayas Debate Union
  • Mindanao Parliamentary Debate Union

    The freak recommends:

  • world debate website
  • debate and issue 101
  • Philippine short stories
  • RENT the Musical
  • Sham Sports - real funny stuff
  • Tracy McGrady
  • That 70's Show
  • Horny Manatee
  • youtube
  • blogthings
  • blogskins
  • ultimate guitar
  • The Guardian
  • BBC website


    my beloved peeps. haha.






















    Let bygones be bygones
    January 2006
    May 2006
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    December 2009
    January 2010




    hit counter: